Friday, April 3, 2009

the eternal puppy


So this week I have been very pensive. Ok, so I'm always pensive. But this week especially so about my dog Layla. She's about to turn 8 and I've suddenly realized that while she is still so incredibly youthful, she's not really a puppy if we take into account that in dog years, she's 56. So before I went to sleep last night I began to reminisce. I began to think of all the memories I have of Layla, the eternal puppy. And I couldn't resist sharing with you my thoughts about life and love with Layla.

First, a short list of Layla's "adventures"....
Year 1. brought home in police car. wanted an education so tried to hang out in schoolyard.
Year 2. Layla finds her way underground. Goes missing for 3 days. Find her underneath metal grate . Call city to remove grate and lift Layla out of ground.
Year 3.
like her owner, develops expensive taste in footwear. Unlike owner, literally tastes (eats) shoes.Layla gets bored during the day, everyday. Decides to re-format the flower pots. The flower beds become Layla beds, due to flowers being removed to make room for Layla's tush to sit.
Year 4. bunny rabbit found dead in yard. Layla pleads not guilty.
Year 5. Schwanns delivery men and UPS drivers stop wearing hats to keep Layla happy.
Year 6. 3 custom framed Broadplay play posters(i.e.: WICKED) destroyed. Layla again pleads not guilty.
Year 7: Festus, Layla's boyfriend enters the picture. Summer of Layla in Love. Like any smart girl does, lets Festus know who calls the shots in the courtship. Steals Festus' footballs&sticks, eats all of his food, and only allows one kiss (lick) per week. Festus continually forgives Layla and lets her back in his yard.
Year 8. Decides that playtime is 2 am every night.

I am one of those owners who constantly says "my dog is the best dog in the world." But what I think we owners really mean is that "my dog is the best dog in the world- for me." Because for every shocking, inconvenient, ghastly thing she's done, she's made up for it with 1000 wonderful acts that have exhibited her loyalty, sweet spirit, and forgiving heart. These are just a few of the things she does on a regular basis: sits with me by the pond for hours watching sunrises and sunsets, protects my home from intruders, never complains, is the perfect sidekick for afternoon running,
greets me with joy in the morning and helps me to wind down at night every single day without fail.

You'll never understand the phrase "dog is mans best friend" until you have one of your own. No one story, one picture, one explanation can explain it. All I know is that somewhere between hearing those screeching sirens of the police car, burying a bunny, and looking at my watch long after I waved the red flag surrendering to Layla's desire for a 2 am stroll, the puppy that was the last one left in a box at a flea market became my best friend.

"I was aware that maybe he held the secret for a good life. Never slow down, never look back, live each day w/ adolescent verve and spunk and curiosity and playfulness." -John Grogan, "Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog"

No comments: