Tuesday, March 31, 2009

the REALLY random...

Recently on a social networking site, (I'll leave it up to your imagination to guess which one, ok we all know it's facebook), some of my friends and I posted 25 random things about ourselves. It was amazing to me how many people posted this. So many people, such as myself, who usually don't share mass amounts of information with the internet world. I think people were just intrigued by the idea of sitting down and really thinking about what makes me tick as a person. Well, a friend pointed out that mine wasn't random enough. And I must say that I agree with her. So one night recently when I was wide awake at midnight and couldn't go back to sleep, I pulled out my blackberry and began to type. So here it is , the REALLY random things about me...

1. I vacation where the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed. When I was little, I was convinced I would fall in love on that mountain. Yeah, ask me how that's going.

2. I go gaga over McDonald's Monopoly every year. It's really strange because I rarely eat fast food and I don't really like games. But collecting those little gamepieces, with the hope of winning the million, just makes me happy . I realized I had an unusually odd fetish with McDonald's Monopoly one particular day last fall. I went and ordered a meal that I really didn't want (purely for the game pieces) BUT they were OUT of game pieces that day. Boy was I mad.

3. My personality is often said to be very similar to Chelsea Handler's (Chelsea Lately host) , but make no mistake, my lifestyle is very dissimilar.

4. When I was a child, I asked for a golf cart and a metal detector every year. I was never taken seriously. I always had this dream of riding in my golf cart down the beach discovering buried treasure with my metal detector. I bought a metal detector at the beach last fall and let's just say that you can't turn a Corona beer top into a diamond ring. No matter how you turn it in the sunlight.

5. I was once a catfish princess.

6. I must do standing bow yoga pose every day. Once i had a busy day and was on a ladder at 11:45pm and realized I hadn't gotten the standing bow in. So right there and then I went into the pose. Not safe, but hey I lived to tell about it. And that's the point.

7. I rode the Honey I Shrunk The Kids bee once. Ask to see the video. I flew over a yard. I know you're jeal.

8. I know more quotes than you. I enjoy memorizing and then reciting things that people way smarter and cooler than me have said.

9. I count the number of times Reverend Brown says "can I get a witness?" each Sunday.

10. I was once pulled over at midnight after leading a bible study. After the officer asked me why I was out so late , he gave me a breathalizer. I guess he thought "just left a bible study" and having a bible in my passenger seat and showing him that nights prayer requests were the oldest tricks in the book.

11. When I get upset I repeatedly say "I don't know, I just don't know". My closest friends enjoy counting the # of times I say this. The higher the #, the more upset I must be.

12. I never wear socks. Except when I ski.

13. Ten years after I signed a little plastic card at my church, I still believe that True Love Waits. Its old fashioned , true , but I've been able to convince almost (not everyone, but close) everyone that waiting is a good thing.

14. I played the oboe for 7 years. Again, I know you're jeal.

15. I was named after both grandfathers, Asher and Clay. I never got to meet either.

16. I can't stand ending a conversation with "bye!" So even if we won't logically talk again soon, I will frantically search my brain for a way to sign off that includes the time we'll talk again . ie: talk to you tomorrow! or I will text you later or When can we hang out again? Open ended signoffs such as "see you later" and "later" make me nervous. Humor me and make me believe we will talk again very soon.

17. I have fallen head over heels 3 times. None of them could spell and none were from Kentucky. Coincidence? I think not. You can't trust an out of stater who can't spell.

18. I would workout even if I gained weight from it.

19. Message me for an invitation to designer clothing sales. Unless you are the same size as me, then I won't send you an invitation because let's be honest, I really don't want you to get the cashmere sweater I've been waiting to buy before I get a chance to buy it!

20. John McCain winked at me once in Washington dc. My parents said it was a nervous twitch and called me Monica that entire summer.

21. I believe money is the root of all evil. I know its a bit necessary to survive but sometimes I wish I lived in one of those remote villages that used chickens and cows as currency.

22. I don't watch TV shows. I have cable, but just to watch CBS Sunday Morning. I am way too passionate about life and people to sit and stare at a box every night. Although I do love the news. That's always changing, and keeps my interest.

23. I drain my savings each Christmas for gifts. I like to end the year exhausted, feeling like there's nothing left to give. Literally. My bank account on dec.31st is usually about $3.00.

24 I have a hard time understanding people that plan everything, including friendships. It is confusing to me. I mean I know it's necessary a lot of times to plan things in advance but please don't treat me like your six month dentist checkup.

25. I save e-ve-ry-thing. I am incredibly over the top sentimental. I'm trying to be better about this though because I don't want to be on a talk show in 10 years, revealing on national television a room stuffed full of cards people have sent me over the past 26 years. Yeah, that would be mucho embarrassing.

2 comments:

hmb said...

girl you are a hot mess. i am jealous that john mccain winked at you!

Ashley Bridges said...

THIS IS GREAT!!! You are great at writing and I love to read your blog...