Wednesday, March 11, 2009

eulogy for a tree

So here's what happened...
God created Kentucky.
He decided to make the weather weird.
Sunshine, sunny, give me a swim suit, one day.
Snow, icey, puddles, give me a ski suit the next.
And because of His desire to make Kentucky colorful-
Those of us living in the bluegrass are always on a rollercoaster.


Which leads me to tell you how the Kentucky weather killed my tree.

I went outside after the ice storm and I gasped.
There was my hammock, in a sad state.
Between branches and sticks and leaves.
I tried to pull it out but the weight was too much.
So I had to call the people that deal with this for a living.
Well, I waited a few weeks to make the call (prostination=bad).
And then came the call that delivered the shocking news--
Left Tree that perfectly balanced out my yard was DEAD!
as in no life, no blooming this spring,
"there's a chance it may fall on your house sometime
in the next few years if we don't remove it, DEAD"
So tree people had to remove it.
(for the price of 650 bucks, this was apparently "a good deal?")
And I have felt extremely sad about it all week.
My friends and family have said that I can just get those metal posts
so that I can put my hammock back up.
But it just won't be the same.
Have you ever lied in a hammock that was perfectly positioned between
two giant 50 year old at least oak trees? You look up and see the light
come through the tree branches and leaves.
It's bliss.

"Sensing us, the trees tremble in their sleep,The living leaves recoil before our fires,Baring to us war-charred and broken branches,And seeing theirs, we for our own destruction weep." - Kathleen Raine, London Trees

No comments: